Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Probability as I stumbled across it..!!

Probability has been one of my favourite subjects in maths. I still cant help but appreciate n nod my head vigorously when I figure out some probability , the moment its cited , that how it came.

Yet today during one such reference I remembered the funny manner I stumbled upon Probability at first.
It was in the summer of holidays after 10th standard that I learnt the notion of probability from some "Maths for you" types magazine lying in my home. I loved the notion -dint read it to understand but just read it once and knew the basic operations of addition and multiplication etc.

Now it so happened that four months later -in Regional Maths olympiad -that time we got most questions based on probability -related in some manner . I was happy, thrilled ! that I read it just like that and see its here.
But somehow it seemed unnatural to me that probability of getting 6 on rolling a dice has to be same as those of others. I dint liked this idea.....as I always got a six every third time I had ever rolled a dice.

So toying with the idea , I went by my instincts and segregated a 1/5th  probability to six exclusively and remaining was equally divided into other five numbers to get . and I solved all questions , happy that I had done that ; next month we learnt the probability theory in class, n I was agonised that six has to take the same  probability as others more than that - my little ingenious idea -was entirely wrong and ridiculous . I was in
deep pain - it seemed like a perfect betrayal .......

then I had forgotten all about it. If somebody would tell me this now -I will
laugh at this like a stupid notion..yet it seems funny how convinced n sure I was that it just cant be equal probability...........atleast with dice!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment