Sunday, August 11, 2013

How do you explain Sanskriti or Culture?

Well I sat around kids of 7th standard, typical kids of this internet era-who know all about computers, laptops, mobiles, wi-fi, gaming but sadly nothing/very little about any other art-form (since it wont give a good livelihood in this modern world-of Secured IT jobs) . Well there I sat, trying to teach them something by means of a story. There I stumbled on the word "culture and arts". I told them "Culture means Sanskriti" and asked them "what is the meaning of "Bhartiya Sanskriti". One kid, next to me, said - oh I know, I know, lemme think - ya "its a name of a book".

 OK!! ya that might be true..but what else? Its not just that..what exactly do people mean when they say "we are from Bhartiya Sanskriti". Ofcourse it was of no help- to get answers out of them.

So I embarked on the effort to describe it to them, what it means by Culture. I told them - that I am an Indian- what does that means? It means I like certain kind of food, dressing, music, danceforms, Paintings, have certain beliefs and values - which together define this term "Indian Culture". Likewise there is "Western culture", "Roman culture" "Greek Culture". Quite satisfied on the - overview of the idea of culture I gave them, I looked around to see if it rings a bell to them. No, it seemed very confusing to them. Hmm I tried again but whatever example and description I could give - seemed like running around the bush. So I stopped there, reiterated the first example - asked them about warli painting, classical and folk songs, Kathak and bharatnatyam dance and so on. Then I said - to go back and research on Culture on net or better ask your parents.. Feeling satisfied by my efforts and having made a point that its something very interesting to look up further, I proceeded with the reading.

But still I am not sure how exactly can one make "kids" understand the meaning of culture.
Values and it being an identity we are defined by.. Seemed so very amazing to me, when I read of different cultures in my history textbook as a kid, I wonder how would their teacher teach them? Will she/he take efforts to make the kids inspired and in awe of the great representation - culture depicts. Hope they will.. else why would they want to be teacher at all. Right?


No comments:

Post a Comment