Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chilla in Music - derived from Chilla-nashini

Today I came to know of a strange practice, amongst very advanced and skilled singers and artists (I guess for that matter:D), of secluding yourself for forty days in a home and practicing your art - say instrument playing - same time, everyday , for same no. of hours - say for 10 to 15 hours without any failure. no interaction with outside world ; no sleep also - just practice and practice; with very restricted food, no non-veg or egg, no grains as well. No social interaction of any kind  and then you are one level up than before, after the end of forty days. This seemed so impossible - yet so enlightening, as if mastering an art is the ultimate goal of life and attainment of excellence by the will n practice..........

I am told Ustad Bade Gulam Ali Khan -Had done 3 or 4 such Chilla's in is lifetime - hats off.....I would love to seclude myself and probably write & write & write or sing n sing n sing. Wouldn't it be wonderful , but getting up after 8 hours of sleep is unmanageable, how can one go on without sleep  and retain the jest for more than a month!! It makes me, take excuse from my fancies and move on..........(from fancies ) :D

No comments:

Post a Comment